Friday, January 6, 2012

What I've been doing...

I know...I've been a blogSLACKER.  I realized that I have not done a REAL post since September.  Of course, in my thoughts of what I'd like to do better at in 2012, blogging is on the list.  So here's the run down.  Because of time, and my own patience and sanity, it will not be terribly long and there may, or may NOT be pictures with every event.
  October starts my "busy season".  I love to make Halloween costumes for my kids, so that takes a lot of my time. Vance was in the thick of soccer and Flag football.  Call us crazy for having him do 2 sports at once.  This will NEVER happen again.  He did really good in both...it was fun to watch him play football for the first time.  He made quite a few touch-downs, cuz he's kinda speedy. (Proud track mom moment!)
                                                  He's in the bottom-right, w/ the beanie on.
  Kevin had his 33rd birthday, then 2 days later he and I left the kids at home w/ Grandma and Grandpa and left for Dallas, TX.  We didn't really get to celebrate our 10th anniversary last year, since I was great w/ child (Thanks Lexie). So we decided this would count.  We spent 4 days there, and the main event of our stay, was watching BYU play TCU at Dallas Cowboy Stadium.  Bummer the cougs lost, but pretty fun trip all in all. And very nice to get away from the kiddies for a while and have some "us" time.
                                                       Kev, down by the field after the game.
We also visited the Stadium at Arlington, the day before the big World Series loss!!
  We got home in time for a day of prep to get ready for Halloween.  Sooooo fun!  We couldn't have asked for better trick-or-treating weather.  And it was fun to have Grandma H here to join in the fun.  I think it was her first year ever with us for this "holiday".
                                                        Lexie the bumblebee...so cute!
Brea...as Jessie
Lightning McQueen & Captain America.
  The day after Halloween, I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled and one molar.  One word...CRAZY.  But, now it's done and I don't have to deal with it again...right?
   2 weeks later, I ran the school's PTA sponsored Book Fair.  That week is just NUTS for me.  But I do love doing it.  It gives me my school "fix" and I LOVE books.  I kind of have a fettish.  The day the fair ended was Vance's 8th birthday.  I can't believe our little man is 8!  He got to have a BIG friend party this year, and he chose to go to Chuck E. Cheese. (What kid wouldn't?)  Captain America was the theme this year and those boys had soooo much fun!  It was a great day! 
   The next week was Thanksgiving.  My mom and dad and grandparents came down to our neck of the woods and celebrated with my mom's family here.  It was good to be together.
  The Monday after Thanksgiving, I always go to SLC to decorate my little tree for the Festival of Trees.  This has become such a fun tradition for me!  I love getting all the decorations put together and seeing how the whole tree comes together in the end.  And it's a big relief to find out that it has sold at the auction. (proceeds going to Primary Children's Hospital in SLC) That Friday, our little family went down to see it, and YAY! it sold! I'm so glad that ours has sold every year since we started 3 years ago.  This year's theme was "Holly Jolly Christmas" and many of the decorations were made from Jolly Ranchers candy.   I made a garland w/ them.  It was fun.
  The next day, which happened to be the first Sat. in Dec., our birthday boy was baptized!!  I can't believe Vance has made it to this point in his life.  It was such a good day.  I didn't cry as much as I thought I would, which I'm grateful for.  I'm such a bawl baby.  He is such a good kid, and he made a good choice to be baptized.  I couldn't be happier for him and that decision.
  The NEXT day, (yes, I'm going in 1 day increments, life was that busy.) was Breanna's 6th birthday.  I cannot believe my little girl is 6.  But she is still as sweet as can be, with an attitude bigger than she is.  I know those two should contradict each other, but somehow, they work together within her.  She loves everyone, and is so compassionate and tender.  She's a challenge, but she's a great joy.
                                           Breanna blowing out the Tiana cake she ordered.
I LOVE this picture!  "MONEY!"
  The first week of Dec. also brought Vance's introduction to Cub Scouts, me taking a jewelry making class, the Ward Christmas party, and getting together with some of my cousins.
Here's Lexie's first visit w/ Santa. (At the Ward Party)  I LOVE this picture!
The Primary kids sang the 12 Days of Christmas.  Brea got to hold the 8 Maids a milking, and Vance is in the front, surrounded by a bunch of girls.
  The rest of the month brought the beginning of Jr. Jazz basketball for Vance, a dance Recital for Brea, where she did a super-cute tap dance to "the Grinch", The Nelson's family Christmas party, where we wrapped gifts for a fun secret Santa project we did, and the rest of the time was spent getting ready for Christmas.  The Harker family decided to do all "homemade" gifts this year, so I spent lots of time with some help from the kids, doing that.
                                                      Breanna, tapping kinda "grinchy"
Nelson Family Grandkids and the gifts we wrapped!
  Christmas came, and the festivities lasted from the time we woke up, til around 7:30p.m.  Santa, gifts, church, more gifts as we Skyped w/ family, and even more gifts.  What a great, long day. 
   After Christmas we went to my family's to celebrate the  New Year.  We actually went a little early, and enlisted the babysitting services of grandparents once again, so Kevin and I could go out on our anniversary.  11 years.  That seems crazy.  But it is so awesome.  I don't think I ever realized I could really love someone like this for so long.  And I know we still have a long road ahead of us, but it's looking like a great journey.  I love you Kevin!
  New Year's Even was spent at my sister's place.  It was just a party house!  Games, movies, food, fireworks, silly string, fizzy fancy juice from a bottle.  It couldn't have been a better celebration.  It was so good to spend time with my fam.
  Now, we've made it home and I've started working on some New Year's goals for 2012.  Some I have already failed at, and I'm only 6 days in.  But, that just means I get to keep going.  I don't feel discouraged yet.  I'm excited to see what 2012 will bring.
  So, that's what I've been up to for the last 3 months.  Now, you can see why I may not have put more than just an occasional word or picture up for a while.  But, hopefully the updates won't have to be quite as long in 2012.  I'll try to pencil it in!  Happy New Year to all!  Much success to you and happiness as well.

1 comment:

Jennifer Miller said...

I love blogs! Its a great way to stay up to date. I can't believe you have an eight year old!
Love seeing your family.